Skip to Content

Requesting records from Youth Justice NSW

The Department of Communities & Justice holds records for a number of divisions including Youth Justice NSW (YJNSW). You can request records from Youth Justice under the Government Access (Public Information) Act 2009 (GIPA). When requesting records, it is important to include the following in your application:

  • the type of record you’re requesting
  • specific timeframes for the information sought.

Including these details will help us process your application faster. Types of records you can request include:

  • alerts
  • assessment reports – background reports, psychological reports and court reports
  • case notes – please specify if psychology and confidential case notes are also requested
  • case plan
  • client diary
  • client summary
  • custodial history with dates of admission and discharge
  • incidents
  • legal orders
  • misbehavior statements
  • segregation
  • program referrals
  • Youth Justice conferencing referrals
  • Youth Justice court history

Electronic records can be located and extracted more quickly compared to paper-based files. Accessing records from paper-based files will increase the time taken to respond to requests. Paper-based files you can request include:

  • Community File: contains records about the young person while under community supervision that cannot be recorded digitally such as referral forms or certificates.
  • Detainee File: contains records about the young person while in custody that cannot be recorded digitally such as correspondence or certificates.
  • Youth Justice Conferencing File: contains records about referrals to Youth Justice Conferencing that cannot be recorded digitally such as some correspondence from the young person and victim/s.
  • Specialist File: these files are only created when there has been a psychological or counselling assessment and/or intervention with a Youth Justice client. The information contained cannot be released under GIPA according to Australian Psychological Society ethics because it contains test protocols, raw (uninterpreted) scores and reports by external providers (not Youth Justice).

Youth Justice does not hold records relating to the functions of the NSW Department of Education, NSW Children’s Court, NSW Police Force or Justice Health. This includes psychiatric or other medical reports.

If you are a care leaver (i.e. someone who has left the out-of-home care system in NSW) you can contact the Care Leaver Records Access Unit by emailing

Care leavers can request information about their care history free of charge under the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998.

If you are not a care leaver, you can request access to information held by the Department by lodging an application online; processing charges apply.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 14 Oct 2020