NSW Aboriginal Child, Youth and Family Strategy
About the strategy
The NSW Aboriginal Child, Youth and Family Strategy is a prevention and early intervention strategy that aims to provide Aboriginal children with the best start in life.
Research demonstrates the importance of supporting parents and children in the early years of a child's development. This strategy focuses on Aboriginal families expecting a baby or with children aged up to 5 years.
The strategy funds 5 services for Aboriginal children and families:
- Aboriginal supported playgroups
- Parents can share experiences of parenting and children can socialise, play and learn in a structured and positive environment.
- Parenting programs
- Provides parents with effective activities, information and coaching to assist them to build positive parenting skills.
- Aboriginal family worker
- Works to improve the outcomes and wellbeing of Aboriginal families with children aged 0–5 by providing support for parenting, facilitating informal support groups and access to appropriate services.
- Community capacity building
- Community-based projects aiming to strengthen the connections community members make with local services available to them.
- Partnership and network projects
- Helps service providers work collaboratively to improve conditions in the local community. It also improves prevention and early intervention approaches by making local connections between services. This helps with access and engagement with services and with achieving results for clients.
The Aboriginal Child, Youth and Family Strategy works in close partnership with Families NSW, and the NSW Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Strategy.
View the Aboriginal Child, Youth and Family Program Guidelines to learn about the program and also about the requirements for service providers. One of the requirements is to provide data about the services you provide.
The Aboriginal Child, Youth and Family Strategy, and Families NSW data collection team contacts each provider by email to tell them how to provide data and to send reminders before this work is due.