Skip to Content


DCJ Housing charges market rent for all the properties it owns or manages.

We determine the market rent for our properties using a number of sources including property valuations and current trends in the private rental market, provided by the NSW Valuer General and the NSW Rental Bond Board.

This means that the market rent of our properties will be comparable to similar properties in the private rental market.

Rent subsidy

A rent subsidy reduces the amount of money you pay to DCJ Housing in rent. If your household has a low or moderate income you can apply for a rent subsidy. The level of rent subsidy is based on the total assessable income of the household.

To apply for a rent subsidy you need to fill out a Rent subsidy application form, which is available online through the MyHousing app, FACS website or at any local DCJ Housing office.

If you are eligible for a rent subsidy DCJ Housing will not charge you the full market rent for your property. We will advise you in writing of the amount of rent you must pay.


Market rent reviews are carried out every year. Just as market rents in the private rental market increase and decrease over time, DCJ Housing also reviews its rents to make sure they are up to date with movement in the private rental market.

As part of the review, we write to every tenant to advise them of the new market rent, including whether it has increased or decreased. The letter also states the date from which the new market rent applies

Rent subsidy reviews occur on a regular basis for all DCJ Housing and Aboriginal Housing Office tenants who receive a rent subsidy. The reviews ensure that tenants receiving a rent subsidy continue to be eligible to receive the subsidy and determine the amount of rent to be paid.

What if I receive a rent subsidy and my household circumstances change?

You must advise us within 28 days of the change occurring. If you do not advise us of the change and we determine that you are receiving a rent subsidy that you may not be entitled to, we may take a range of actions including:

  • cancelling or backdating your rent subsidy
  • terminating your tenancy
  • commencing criminal prosecution.

To inform DCJ of any changes to your tenancy, complete the Tenancy Online Form.

What if I disagree with DCJ Housing’s decision?

If you believe we have made a wrong decision, you should first discuss your concerns with a client service officer.

If you pay the market rent and believe a market rent increase is too high, you can apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) within 30 days of receiving the letter advising of the market rent increase.

If you pay a subsidised rent and believe the amount of rent you pay has been incorrectly assessed, or if you become ineligible for a rent subsidy, you can ask to have the decision reviewed. To do this, fill in the Review of decisions form available online or from any local DCJ Housing office.

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 06 May 2020